Friday, August 25, 2006

The Kindness of Strangers

So I woke up this morning thinking about Larkin. Whatever it was, it was great. Then I remembered that I broke up with her last night.

I think I did the right thing.

More importantly, and the reason for this entry, is to report on the kindness of strangers.
I was leaning on a fence, my head in my hands when a lady walks by and asks me if everything is alright.
I looked up and said, "Girl problems."
She said, "Oh," and walked about 30 feet away, turned around and said, "If she really cared about you, she would want to make you feel good, not feel like this," and then walked away.

Needless to say, her comment took me aback. I had forgotten that about girls... The ones that care about you want to make you feel good...
And I had lost my way.
Some call those people angels.
Whatever she was, she had a bit more insight than the normal passer by.
What prompted her to say "if she really cared" rather than something to the effect of, 'She'll come around,' or 'Don't worry, it will work itself out in the end'...?

I guess at this point in my life I need a girl who cares about me as much as I care about her. Someone who, like I did with Larkin, cares about me more than themselves... So that when I need to go to the grocery so I can eat for two weeks, put gas in my car, and pay bills, she will say, "Don't worry about taking me out tonight, I have popcorn over here, we'll just sit and watch a movie," or, "I'll take YOU out tonight then."

Larkin couldn't do that for me...
Thus, my predominant thought today has been, "Why did I have to fall in love with her?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home